We're not the best at maintaining our blog...maybe one day we'll get better!

We live and teach at an international school in South Korea. We're starting our 4th year and are not sure when we'll end up leaving! We really love our jobs and we get to travel all over the world and see some amazing things. We feel very blessed to be living the lives we are, and all glory goes to God! He is our reason for living.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An Epidemic of Appendectomies

In our school community, we have now had 3 women to have appendectomies in the last 10 days.  They were also all part of the elementary school.  Is this some strange coincidence?  Can appendicitis be caused by external factors that these three ladies had in common?

I can never remember what side the appendix is on, or where exactly it is located, hence the diagram.  I've spent enough time over the last 3 years looking at diagrams of the digestive system, with my colon issues, but never realized that the appendix is right at the end of the colon!  Interesting to know. 

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening to multiple people all at about the same time?  I can't seem to find any known causes of appendicitis except that it is less common when there is a diet high in fiber.

Just something I've been thinking about lately!

No comments: