Well, it has been a while since we've updated the blog with details about our life and what's going on around here! We cannot believe that we've been here in South Korea for almost 2 months now! The time has really flown by. We've been busy teaching and exploring during our time off, and time sure does fly when you're having fun. We've both pretty much gotten used to our new jobs and have learned most of the ins and outs of working for Avalon. Some things are frustrating (such as the lack of communication from our Korean counterparts at times, and the fact that they like to change things at the last minute and such...a couple weeks ago I had to work until 1:15 am re-doing some transcripts (some of students whom I have never met--yet I had to give them a score) to send home with the students because I had gotten them all finished and the Korean teachers decided to change them all...that was a little bit frustrating!), but for the most part we are both really enjoying our respective "schools" and our students. Michael is loving it because at his campus there are about 11 or so other foreign guys, so he already has a built in group of guys to hang out with, which is something he has really never had at a job before. So, life is good. We are still really enjoying our church as well and one of Michael's co-workers has been coming with us for the last month so that's been good. Now, I will show photos of the past month.
One day Michael and I decided to go early to the area where our schools are and eat lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho Bay. Talk about delicious food. Since then we have discovered an even better Vietnamese restaurant downtown and we have been back several times. I think it is slowly becoming my favorite food! :)

Michael really loves Pho Bay because they have cold Jasmine tea to drink. Most other places serve it hot, but the cold is really nice. Aren't the little cups cute?


We went walking around Suji and had to take a photo of the Batman Bar. No, we have not been in it, just outside of it.


That weekend we went to Bundang (a city very close by, and very nice!) on Sunday evening to go to a mall so I could find these very cute, comfortable Crocs shoes (not the standard ones, much cuter ones!). I decided with as much walking as we've been doing, I needed more comfortable shoes (I also went to Seoul one morning and found some Chaco's sandals which are also amazing). Michael's co-worker Jonathan went with us, and he took us to Bundang's Central Park, which was a very nice park area with lakes, some old buildings in the middle, and a "hill" that you could hike up. Here are some photos from that.










We hiked to the top of the hill/mountain, and at the top was an amazing exercise park!! It was owned by Lotte (a huge Korean corporation) and cost W 30,000 (about $30). So cool!




We waited until we were in Korea for over a month when we finally decided to visit the Golden Arches for lunch one day. Kung Fu Panda Chicken Nuggets!!


While we didn't get to celebrate US Independence Day with a day off of work, Michael decided to join some of his co-workers up on the roof of Charmant and let off fireworks. He was there with them for about 20 minutes until he came running back after the security guard came up and caught them. Gotta love Americans. Obnoxious as always.
That weekend, we took a trip out of town to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. I knew we were going somewhere but had no idea where. Michael planned the whole trip with some assistance from his Korean co-workers, and he surprised me by taking me to a city called Daejeon, south of us in another province called Chungcheong--Central Korea. It is about 2 hrs south of Seoul by car, and took as about 1.5 hrs by train. It is an area known for it's natural hot springs, so he took me to a Spa Hotel! Unfortunately, we got to Seoul to the KTX station and I realized I had left my camera sitting in our apartment--so the spoiled brat that I am headed over to the nearest Lotte Mart and bought the cheapest digital camera I could find. It was the quickest electronics purchase I have ever made! Michael is glad because now he has his own little camera to take photos with.
View from outside the window of Daejeon.
And yes, we now have almost "match-ee" bathing suits! Haha In Korea, couples love to dress alike. I was buying a bathing suit and the lady brought out the swim trunks and said, "Couple??" so I obviously insisted that he bought them. Yes!


Before the evening in the Korean Spa....they had separate spas for men & women...we also did not need our bathing suits. It was an interesting experience!


We had a very nice, relaxing weekend, thanks to my awesome husband!!
We heard there was a pretty good Mexican restaurant in Bundang from one of Michael's co-workers, so we decided to check it out. LaMerce was the name.


Michael's burrito--looks like mustard & mayo on top, but it was actually cheese sauce & sour cream---similar to canned cheese whiz.


My chicken tacos were pretty decent. We may go back. It was the closest thing we'd had to mexican food so far! It also was recommended by a Canadian...

That's all for this post. Coming soon--Korean Soccer and much BETTER mexican food!!
We do miss everyone. But we really aren't missing the US too badly yet.
~Leslie





























1 comment:
I dig the matching bathing suits. Looks like you guys are just going on constant adventures.
Post a Comment