We're not the best at maintaining our blog...maybe one day we'll get better!

We live and teach at an international school in South Korea. We're starting our 4th year and are not sure when we'll end up leaving! We really love our jobs and we get to travel all over the world and see some amazing things. We feel very blessed to be living the lives we are, and all glory goes to God! He is our reason for living.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

HypnoBirthing

I think I mentioned in an earlier blog post that we have hired our friend Lisa who is a doula to work with us during the pregnancy and labor/delivery.  She is also a certified HypnoBirthing practictioner.  Sounds interesting, right?  We will actually be taking hypnobirthing classes with her starting next Saturday.  The class will go for 4 Saturdays for 4 hrs each time.  I believe that there will be 3 other couples in the class with us. 

I am really looking forward to taking these classes.  In order to be prepared for the classes, we are supposed to read a book ahead of time, called HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan. 


We decided to sit down together tonight (after I got pretty sick after dinner--I just felt like resting), and start reading the book together.  We tried reading the first few pages aloud together, haha.  That got too tedious so we just ended up silently reading at the same time.  We figured out that we have to read about 40 pages each day in order to finish the book before next Saturday. :)  Homework!

Anyway, we've only read the first 45 pages or so, but so far it's just a lot of background behind the "methodology" I guess you could say of hypnobirthing.  Basically, the idea is that pregnancy and birth are natural processes for women, and we need to treat our approach to them that way, rather than being scared and fearing the worst that could possibly happen, and dispelling the idea that labor is a medically dangerous event for most women.  There are lots of stories of women in other areas of the world who give birth simply and naturally, on their own, without a lot of pain and without the aid of unnecessary drugs.  It's been interesting to read.  It also goes into how the view of childbirth has changed over time from being something very natural to something almost abhorred, to the introduction of drugging mothers and all of the anesthesia and pain killers that are used today.  I am definitely into learning more about this method of natural birth and "gentle birthing" as they call it.  If we can cast away fears, it is amazing what a difference that can make for many situations, including childbirth.  I am really hoping to be able to learn more about how to be relaxed and calm so that I can ideally bring our baby into the world naturally.  Michael is very supportive of it too and I know that he will be a great birthing partner! 

Anyway, I will update more after we have our classes to share what they are like.  I've heard stories from some friends who have taken them, that they are really good and so helpful (though they may have been skeptical at first).  Husbands especially seem to really find the classes valuable and they feel like they are completely a vital part of the birthing process. 

Another reason that I am looking forward to having Lisa as my doula is that she has been doing it for several years here in Korea so she has a lot of experience and knows about all of the different hospitals, clinics, and birthing centers, so she can recommend a good place for women to give birth depending on what kind of birth they are wanting to have.  Most Korean hospitals tend to have a VERY high rate of c-sections, especially for foreigners (they are afraid that the babies are too big...or the mother has been in labor too long, etc.)...and Lisa has under a 20% c-section rate among her clients.  So, I am really hoping that by having Lisa involved and learning how to be relaxed, that we can hopefully avoid having any kind of surgery.  Of course I know that once the time comes, things go how they go so I'm sure I'll have a plan and it may not happen at all like I plan.  However, I still think it's a good idea to plan anyway!

After we take the classes in November, we will have a better idea of what we are looking for and what we want to do during our birth, so at that time we may switch doctors and go to a different facility.  We will just have to see how it goes.  I am not worried about it though, I know it is in God's hands and will all work out.  I am, however, continuing to pray for the health and good condition of my colon throughout the rest of my pregnancy.  That can make a huge difference in how things turn out.  Thanks for reading, and I'll probably post some photos this weekend as I will be 20 weeks along--halfway--on Sunday!!

No comments: