We're not the best at maintaining our blog...maybe one day we'll get better!

We live and teach at an international school in South Korea. We're starting our 4th year and are not sure when we'll end up leaving! We really love our jobs and we get to travel all over the world and see some amazing things. We feel very blessed to be living the lives we are, and all glory goes to God! He is our reason for living.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

I owe it all to LeVar Burton...


It all started, years ago, with a little song that went like this:
"Butterfly in the sky....I can go twice as high...take a look, it's in a book, Reading Rainbow...I can go anywhere..."
It seems as though my anywhere is South Korea!  Sorry, I know this is cheesy, but it is official--I (Leslie) am going to be the Elementary Librarian at Gyeonggi Suwon International School (GSIS)!!  Click on the name to go to the school's website if you want to see more.

I am so thrilled about this job!  In my four years of teaching experience, I have found the most satisfaction in teaching children to read and getting kids excited about books, and I am soo excited to get to do this as a school librarian!  I am wanting to start working on my school library certification as well, so hopefully I can work that into my schedule and eventually be certified so that I will have a better chance of doing this as a career when we eventually return to the U.S. to live.  Oh yeah, the school requires a 2 year contract, so we will for sure be living in South Korea for at least 2 more years.  Start making plans to come visit us!! :)

We will be moving to the city of Suwon, which is the capital city of our province, Gyeonggi-do, and has a population of around a million.  It is a cool historic city which actually has the original fortress wall intact, Hwaseong Fortress, but of course the city has spread past the original wall.  Suwon is the home to one of the World Cup soccer stadiums, and the Suwon Bluewings soccer team, which is great because we love to go to the games here.  Suwon is also where galbi, my favorite Korean meal, originated.  That is the barbecue-style meal where you cook the meat on a grill at your table and make lettuce wraps with rice and other veggies and stuff.  I am excited that we'll be living in galbi-land!  haha  I could seriously eat galbi every day and be happy.

So, I don't have all of the official details yet with start dates, etc. but the principal is supposed to get back with me at the beginning of next week (they've been on a week-long winter vacation this week) with all that.  Like I have mentioned in a previous post, the international schools are on a westernized calendar and curriculum, so it will be very similar to teaching in an American school, just without many American kids!  School starts in August and goes through June, and I think they have a good 7 week summer vacation, as well as a 3 week Christmas break, and other breaks throughout the school year (winter break, spring break, Chuseok--Korean Thanksgiving).  So, it will give me more vacation time and hopefully more time to travel!

So, now, you are probably wondering about Michael. :)  At this point we are hoping that he can also get a job at GSIS.  The principal had talked to me at one point about a full-time substitute job that Michael could possibly fill, and he said the administrators are going to discuss that next week.  We have also heard that they are going to have some Bible openings, as it is also a Christian school, so he has put in his application if any jobs open up there.  So, we are praying that one of these will work out so that we can both work there and have the same schedules, vacations, etc.  We're just trusting that God will take care of it for us! 

We'll update as we know more and will hopefully be planning our summer vacation to the US pretty soon here!  I want to thank you again for all of your prayers and to ask you to keep them coming for Michael!  
~Leslie

13 comments:

Kyle & Susie Rhodes said...

congrats on this job opportunity! i'll look forward to reading about how it is going on your blog. i'm also glad that korean life/culture is working out well for y'all. i'll be praying for you as you adjust to this new job. :)

richlibrarian said...

yea!!!

so, this means you won't be coming here during a break for your extra training? sad.

Leslie said...

Umm, Eliza, I am not sure what you are referring to about the extra training? Sorry, I am dense. :) But, we definitely hope to make a trip to NZ during one of our vacations in the next couple of years, so assuming you guys are also there for a while, I am sure we'll come see you!

And Susie, thanks for checking on me! I am so excited for you guys with Kent coming soon!

beautiful feet said...

congrats on the GSIS job! it's nice to keep up to speed with you guys on our blog :D hope you're having a great weekend! love, stef. ps. eat some kimchi for me ;)

ajholden said...

I am so excited for you friend!

John and Christina Sullivan said...

Congratulations! So happy you are finally getting to do your dream job! Levar would be proud too! Love you!

The McDowells said...

Congratulations! That is great news! I was looking at the school's website and it looks like it will be a great place to work. Too bad we aren't richer and have little kids, or we would come and visit you guys! Do you think you will be there in about 18 years? Is so, put us down for a visit! Keep me updated if you are going to be able to come to TX this summer, we would love for you guys to come visit and FINALLY meet our kids!

Granna said...

I blog hopped to your site from Katies when I noted that you wrote about becoming the school "librarian"- I work with the Library Media program at the University of West Alabama- our program(M.Ed in Library Media- which gives you school certification)is totally online- internship and all. We are also going to start an online Ed.S program in Library Media in the Fall. I have supervised overseas students before. You might want to check it out if you are going to go back to school. www.uwa.edu

Granna said...

Great- I wasn't trying to get in your "business", but when I saw your post I thought that an online program might work well for you. I supervise all of the internships and also teach Cataloging/Classification and Children's and YA Lit. I wish you well in your new work- you will LOVE it I am certain. I think being the LMS is the best job to have in a school.

timwylie said...

sweet. Then, just like me you started watching star trek because levar burton was on that too. right? it's not just me. right? right?

Leslie said...

Suuuure, Tim...

richlibrarian said...

i just remembered you telling me that like right around the time you moved...don't remember much other than that. but that's cool.

Jody and Ruth Been said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you, Leslie! Praise God for the job. I think you'll be fabulous at it, and what a blessing to get out of the hogwans. They're so tough, aren't they? Anyway, keep us posted on all the goodness and eat lots of yummy Korean food for me. I miss it!