I have decided that I am habitually late as a blogger, but that's okay I guess. What is the rush, anyway? I guess its just that I forget things between the time that they happen and the time that I post about them. Oh well!
So, one of the things we have done in Korea that we have really enjoyed is attending a Korean Soccer game. For Michael's birthday I bought tickets to go to a game, and the first one we were able to go to was July 20th. Well, the weather had been forecasting RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN, and most of the seating is not covered, so we almost decided not to go. However, one of Michael's co-workers (MikeT) was going to be leaving Korea very soon and wanted to go to one last game before he left, so we went ahead and joined him. Let's just say it was a torrential monsoon of an evening! :) It started pouring about an hour before the game and did not let up for maybe 3 days! But it was worth it.
Here is a side view of World Cup Stadium (from when the World Cup was held here, obviously).

There are a lot of cool sculptures and other types of art on the front lawn, before the stadium, such as this gigantic soccer ball. It was raining so hard that we did not stop to take photos of the others.


...bought a HUGE Suwon poncho type thing for 25,000 won! It was soo massive, but it certainly kept me pretty dry. I think all 3 of us could have fit inside the thing.


Here is the colorful stadium, before the game began. Notice the Koreans in their cheap ponchos for 2,000 won. I never did find those ones.


This was one of our favorite songs that we sang. Part of the experience of a Korean soccer game is that they pretty much sing and chant the ENTIRE game. It was so much fun! It wasn't annoying chants like girl's softball games (I always HATED how they'd go, "eh, batta, batta, ehh" and other stupid things--one reason why I never wanted to play softball), but rather fun fight songs and such. I might try to upload some of my videos onto here as well.


I found it amusing that someone was waving a HUMONGOUS Che Guevara flag...not sure why Koreans would care...


Hot Roasted Squid...the preferred snack at Korean soccer games. Along with ramyun! I passed on that and found an ice cream cone.


On the field...
...So Suwon lost to Seongnam, 0-1, but overall it was a really fun experience! For less than $10, you can't beat it! We've decided we're going to try to go to all the rest of the games this season, so hopefully the next one will be a little more dry.
~Leslie
















No comments:
Post a Comment