We're not the best at maintaining our blog...maybe one day we'll get better!

We live and teach at an international school in South Korea. We're starting our 4th year and are not sure when we'll end up leaving! We really love our jobs and we get to travel all over the world and see some amazing things. We feel very blessed to be living the lives we are, and all glory goes to God! He is our reason for living.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

My New Answer to the Perfect Week Question, or Who Could Worship a Chicken God



There’s a game I love to play with groups of people when I first meet them called 1:30 of your life. The premise is simple. For a minute and a half you ask someone questions about themselves that they have to answer. It is a great game for getting kids to open up, that I have now used on 2 continents. Most of the questions are of the what’s your favorite kind. Usually somebody will ask what your perfect vacation or day or something like that would consist of. My answer would always include a Black Keys, or Spoon or Teitur concert and a Cubs, Cardinals game at Wrigley Field, with the Cubs winning of course. That was until this last week. Now my answer will consist of the memories of being on the beach for two days, a Jason Mraz concert Saturday night and a Jason Statham action movie trilogy serving as the crushed nuts on top of the sundae, Sunday night. I won’t go into every little detail, that is what my better half is for. Instead, I will just make a top five list of my favorites about this week:
1. My Wife. In case you did not know it, Leslie Christine Rains is the smartest, sexiest, sassiest woman in the whole world. She is better and spicier than a big bowl of Momma’s gumbo to me. (My mom makes the best gumbo in the world too.) I planned our anniversary, so she planned this one. Mrs. San Diego had no choice but to take me to the beach. I was not going to complain, because when the sun kisses my wife’s cheeks and colors them a frecklely pink, I get weak in the knees. Plus, she looks good in a bathing suit too. For two days I got to walk along the sandy beaches of the Japanese sea, take cheesy pictures and just spend time with the most amazing woman in the world. The worst part about Monday won’t be going back to work, it will be not spending every minute with her. Honey, I adore you.

2. I love a good concert. Jason Mraz puts on a good concert. His exaggerated movements and facial expressions remind me of the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. He really uses his whole body, including his jazzy voice as an instrument. Each twitch of the face, each note he bellows is used to express an emotion in much the same way each word is used in a good sonnet or each brush stroke in a painting. Even if you don’t like his albums, catch him in concert.

3. Tasty food combined with sensual views. Both are pretty amazing in their own right, but combining the two raises each to all-new stratospheres. Smoked salmon, served with caviar and a side of potato soup is a humdinger of a meal, but if you combine that with a breathtaking view of the Sea of Japan you are pretty close to perfection my friends. Several times we ate exceptional meals that were made even better by gorgeous views of God’s creation.

4. Korea itself. Some quick thoughts about Korea and Koreans. They have the cutest kids in the world. No contest. They are rabid fans of things they like. The Mraz concert was nuts. Every time I breathed, another Korean would jump in front of me. They clapped and shouted like trained dogs every time anyone on stage did anything. Couples love to dress a like and take the cheesiest pictures allowed. They make the best English sentences in the world. A palace in pork hocks & Korean pickles wrapped in a large cabbage leaf like a bundle is my new favorite. Plus Koreans used to worship a chicken god whose picture stands at the entrance of this post. He is my new favorite ancient god.

5. Bad action movies and their awesome stars. I was sick with a cough most of the trip, so I took God up on his offer, and used Sunday as a day of rest. At some point that night I came across a Jason Statham action movie trilogy, Transporter 1&2 and Crank. These movies were exactly what I needed. There was no need to think, because there is no plot, just pure unadulterated good guy wins bad guy dies violence. It harkens back to the days of classics such as Blood Sport and Under Siege. The best part is Statham can actually act a little. Combine them with a Dr. Pepper and you have quite the relaxing way to end the perfect week.

Adios,
Michael

No comments: