
I guess that old saying we used to say when we were kids actually has some truth to it!
Take a look at this article from the NY Times I just read online.
I found this rather interesting, especially since it mentions my disease (U.C.) and uses it as an example! I had recently read that U.C. is only found in developed countries and is more prevalent in urban areas as opposed to rural areas. This makes sense, because we are less exposed to germs that can actually help our immune systems. I have just a few thoughts after reading this article.
1. When I become a mother, I am not going to be a germ-a-phobe! That is such a relief!! I've thought that kids who were not around other kids or exposed to germs did not develop a healthy immune system, and I am glad to know that it is true. Bring on the church nurseries with the runny noses on the toys! :)
2. I guess I need to go find myself some worms?
3. Mom, I'm blaming my disease on you, because you never let me have a dog or cat when I was growing up, let alone 2 dogs and 1 cat! I knew that would harm me in some way. :) I still love you, though.
~Leslie
4 comments:
Very interesting! In our desire to keep everything spotless and unpolluted, with our sealed tight windows and anti-bacterial soaps, it does seem that we're hurting ourselves in the long run. Much like those luxurious lead plates that the old royal families used to eat from. I am also very curious about all the weird types of problems we're bound to get from the prevalent use of cell phones.
Our kids should be in great shape, because our house is definately not an "Ultraclean environment", ha. Macy, Charlie, and Emma hardly get sick and I think part of that is me not freaking out over every germ. I know moms who refuse to let their kids play at the playplace at the mall becuase of the germs and their kids are the ones who are always sick.
Mark, I didn't know old royal families ate off of lead plates! I always learn new things from you. hehe I wonder if eating paint chips is good for kids, too. :) And, I think it will be interesting to find out about the ramifications of cell phones. I read an article the other day that showed that South Korea has almost as many cell phones as people...48.6 million people and 45.6 million mobile phone subscribers!! Here's a link to the article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28893283/
Katie--yeah. I know people who won't take their kids to the nurseries at church because of germs. It seems a little ridiculous to me. Although, I am not the mother dealing with the sick kid. I feel like I need to do so much more research about things before I ever have a baby!!! Hey, did you see my comment to you about probably being in Dallas this summer? Hope we can get together!!
Hey, I just saw this comment, if you are in Dallas this summer you HAVE to for sure visit! Don't you have relatives in Plano or something? Plano is seriously like 10 minutes away. I hope you guys can make it down here!
Post a Comment