So, we have finished another year! This year was especially significant for us as we spent over half of it in South Korea. We've now been here just about 7 months and still can't believe how quickly the time passes here! Besides moving to Korea, this year has had its ups and downs--some of the ups being getting to take a break from an extremely stressful job, getting to be in Houston for the birth of our niece Phoebe, being in Denver for my brother Karl's wedding (with most of my dad's family there), and the engagement of my dear friend Heidi; some of the downs being my diagnosis with ulcerative colitis and Michael having to deal with me on steroids for several weeks at a time, having to give up our beloved dogs while we live overseas, and being so far from our family and dear friends.
But the Lord has proven Himself faithful over and over again. He never ceases to amaze me. We are working jobs that for the most part, we enjoy, and are relatively easy and rewarding at the same time. We are able to save up more money than we ever have in our lives. We have time to sit and read for fun! But even more importantly, we have been placed in a community of believers that seems to be just what we need at this point in our walks. The Lord is strengthening us, using us, stretching us and teaching us to rely on Him in ways that we might not have imagined, even just a few months ago! I feel like right now is a really good time in our lives. And God is good, but not just in the good times. I know that too often I thank Him during the good times and proclaim His greatness, but when things are going tough it is a different story. I pray that this year I will be more full of praise, even when the world would say not to be.
The Holy Spirit reminded me of this passage from Philippians 3 (as did our pastor in last night's worship service), and I feel it is very fitting going into a new year. I did a little cutting here and there but it's basically verses 1-14.
________________________________________________________
Philippians 3(The Goal of Life)
Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord... put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No matter where we are, what we are doing, or how successful in life we may be, it is all rubbish compared to our salvation in Christ, and knowing Him. I hope and pray that this year we will remember this in all that we do. I pray that if you do not know Christ, you will seek to know Him and receive His abundant free gift of life and salvation. Let us keep reaching for the goal and grow closer to our Lord and His purpose for us.
Happy New Year!!
~Leslie (and Michael:)
2 comments:
You both look really good in this picture-:)
Glad to hear that you are both doing so well. Many wishes from your Searcy Community Group for a Blessed and Safe New Year. We miss you both.
Shane
Post a Comment