We also knew that we would get to spend more time together, which has been great (most of the time ;). It's been nice to get to see and spend more quality time with each other a lot more often than we did when we were working in the U.S.: Michael as a full-time minister and me as a full-time elementary school teacher. Those were both pretty life-consuming jobs that seemed to take up all our time and energy. Though we both have jobs teaching here, it is soo different from teaching in the U.S. and we can pretty much get all our work done at work and not have to bring things home with us. That has been awesome.
It's interesting how living in Korea as a foreigner is for the most part a very laid-back lifestyle. Now, don't get me wrong--the Korean society is not laid back at all--we find that most people here are very last minute with things, but then there is such an emphasis placed on image and appearance, which makes for a very stressful environment. It's no wonder Korea has such a high suicide rate. However, as a foreigner, you learn to quickly deal with last-minute changes to your schedule and such, and the rest of the time, life is pretty chill. You know, sleep till 10 or 11, get up, lazy around and get to work by 2:30 or 3. I think I can say that the last five months have definitely been a "restful" period on our lives.
We have started to get busier though, especially this last month, as we have started to get more involved with things, particularly with our church and people there. We were soo blessed to "stumble" across Life Church Korea after being in the country for only 4 days, and have had the privilege to get to meet and know some really amazing people with hearts for God and ministry, and just make some awesome new friends! Life Church is a fairly young church, probably between 2-3 years old, that was started as a ministry of a church in England of the same name. The pastors, Jack and Jenny, are supported as missionaries to Korea, and the church is very focused on missions and sending people to unreached areas of the world, particularly India, Nepal, and other places. There is a good combination of Koreans and foreigners that meet together for worship--probably about 2/3 foreigners and 1/3 Korean. We meet at the campus of an International School in Suwon, GSIS (which, consequently, I am thinking/praying about us applying to teach there next year). Jack and Jenny also just recently opened up a coffee shop (which doubles as a church office), called the Mosaic Cafe, in a nice area of another city not too far from us, so we have been frequenting it often for jazz concerts, art mingles, and bible studies. Michael and couple of other guys started a men's bible study on Wednesday mornings at Mosaic, and in a few short weeks it has grown to about 5 or 6 guys that have been meeting regularly. I had been meeting with some ladies at the coffee shop to just chat and have good coffee/dessert (though Michael swore it was gossip meetings :), but now we've actually started doing little bible studies as well and are going to hopefully begin doing a Beth Moore study soon (thanks to my mother-in-law being willing to send us one from their church!). I have been working with the children on Sunday mornings, teaching once every month or working in the nursery, and Michael has filled in for the youth minister once when he was out of town. We are confident that God has placed us here for a reason and are seeking to know what that is, besides just saving money and having a good time. We feel like He is slowly showing us what He might have planned for our lives in the future, if we can just figure out how to listen well enough and obey His call.
One wonderful note of praise is that I have now gone for I think 3 weeks without having any kind of flare-up of my colon! I had been struggling for the past few months with a flare-up of my disease, since about when we hit the 1-month mark of being here, and was starting to get very frustrated and down about it. I was going to the doctor weekly to get more medicine and try different things, but now it seems to have finally calmed down, at least for a little bit. I have pretty much cut milk out of my diet and am limiting my spicy food and caffeine intake, and it seems to be helping. One thing I am having to deal with is the realization that this is something I will most likely live with and suffer through for the rest of my life. I know the Lord can completely heal me, if He so chooses, but I also have to face the reality that He may choose not to. It's been hard, as a person who has really never been sick much in my life and could barely swallow pills without gagging, to sometimes take 25 pills a day (that is not my normal dosage, just extra during difficult times)! I just keep leaning on the Lord and trusting that even in this, He will be glorified. So, I praise Him for calming my colon down this month. :)
I know a lot of people are probably wondering how long we plan to stay here in Korea. Our contracts with our current hagwons will up the first week of June, and we are thinking that we probably will not renew our contracts with them for another year. We do like our jobs, as I said, they are seriously some of the easiest jobs we've ever had. However, we REALLY want more vacation time, and we don't get much of that working at a hagwon (we get 1 day off for Christmas this year--bummer!). So we are exploring our options right now. We are not opposed to staying another year or two and trying to either get jobs at public schools, or possibly an International School as I mentioned before. We definitely feel that this is the best place for us to be right now, and we are happy with that! Of course, God may tell us to go, and if He does, we will. But, more than likely, we will return for another year after this first one is up. We do plan to make a trip back to the States next summer, though, in June or July probably, to get some good Mexican food and see all of you! We will keep you posted, though, as that is still about 7 months away.
I will leave you with a couple of photos of us from the past month, and I promise to update next with more photos and details about our fun adventures as of late, including our trip to the U.S. for my brother Karl's wedding, the Andong Mask Festival, my 28th birthday, and a visit to the orphanage.
~Leslie
at Black Angus for my birthday steak dinner!

Haha, for some reason this photo is cracking me up.
3 comments:
Love the pics.! They have a Black Angus in Korea?! What is the costume thing all about on your heading picture? You are a very beautiful Korean Les!
Hey Leslie,
Surfing the internet tonight instead of watching election results--- thought I would catch up with with what was going on with you. Sounds like you are on the path God has laid out before you.
We miss you in Bible Study on Monday nights. We have been studying a combined study with Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur called Deeper Still. You can check it out on Lifeway. It's short so if you every want to use it in Bible Study, I will send the DVDs. It was really conference in Nashville that they turned into a Bible Study so the videos stand alone and you could lead some discussion without books.
Let me know if you want to send them to you. email Fellowship Searcy and they can get me the message.
You know that you didn't stumble into your church. God has you two there for very real kingdom purposes and I am so excited about that. Yeah for God. He's so good.
I'll be praying for the job change. And by the way, when God so chooses, I think you'll make a great mom. Also I will be praying for your tummy.
God bless you from Searcy. All my love, your sister in Christ, Dea Moore
Leslie!
Thanks for your comments on my blog.
I can't believe you've already been there 5 months! It's also such a blessing that you seem to be enjoying it so well. Typically, missionaries end up having some severe homesickness. You seem to be really embracing the new environment well, not to mention the food.
I'm glad your health has been improving. I hope you won't think it insensitive of me, but when I was in high school, my buddies and I always joked we were going to name our band the Spastic Colons.
I'm very proud of what you and Michael are able to do over there. You've always been so good at blooming where you're planted.
Mark
Post a Comment